Port Fairy Consolidated School was built in 1874. The original bluestone building was constructed from stone quarried on the site. A feature of the school is the fine stone wall which encloses the school grounds. The first head teacher was Mr Hugh Young. In the 1940s and early 1950s consolidated schools were established in various parts of the state. The idea was to bring children in from one teacher rural schools to a large centre. On February 1st 1949 the school officially became the Port Fairy Consolidated School.